Square Box Systems is an innovative software company, specialising in the development of multimedia tools. We take the time to carefully listen to all our customers' needs and support some of the world's greatest organisations. If you come to us will work closely with you to find the right solution to your problem.
Our core products are based around CatDV, the leading digital asset management system. Read more about how CatDV helps our customers to remain competitive.
CatDV Media Asset Management - Overview
CatDV: find and reuse your media. There is an insatiable demand for high quality media across virtually every industry today. The proliferation of distribution channels, catalyzed by the internet and social media, is causing an explosion of content. At the same time new (and larger) formats are constantly being developed.
Organizations waste significant time and money organizing, searching for, then often failing to find their media assets especially where teams are not in the same location. With ever increasing pressure on budgets, being able to store, find and re-purpose existing media is critical. Research estimates that $8,000 per year is wasted per media professional and that more than a third of media searches fail without effective media asset management.
CatDV tackles all these problems. For companies that create or manage a large volume of digital media CatDV helps teams organize, communicate and collaborate effectively. Its simple, yet powerful tools support some of the world's most sophisticated media workflows and provide the flexibility to work your way. CatDV brings value to single user installations through to large, dispersed teams in the world's largest firms.
Unlike many asset management systems CatDV is easy to learn and deploy, has one of the lowest costs of ownership in its sector, has great support and an unrivaled ability to integrate with other products, platforms, formats, hardware and software.
Ultimately CatDV helps companies find and reuse their media assets, helps teams to collaborate and to get more done, saving both time and money.
- sophisticated logging and organization
- find and reuse your media
- automate your workflows
- enable team collaboration
- scales to millions of assets
- easy to use
- easy to configure
- low training costs
- low deployment costs
- native file handling (MXF, RED etc)
- deployment options: including cloud
- mac, Windows, web and iOS
- many storage and archive partners
- multiple APIs for seamless integration
Call for a Quote
CatDV Standard - Desktop Client
Designed for anyone who uses a DV camcorder or digital camera, CatDV 10.0 Standard Edition is the ideal low cost tool to help you keep track of all your media.
CatDV 10.0 Standard Edition is available for Macintosh and Windows. It provides all the core features common to the CatDV platform.
CatDV 10.0 Standard Edition also offers a convenient entry point and upgrade path to the workgroup features, enhanced search capabilities, and professional video file formats supported in CatDV 10.0 Professional Edition. (Catalogs are fully compatible between Mac and Windows versions of CatDV and are upwardly compatible between Standard and Professional Editions.)
- Build up thumbnail catalogs with searchable metadata and log notes
- Automatically split a DV movie into separate shots
- Create and manage preview versions of your footage to use when the originals are offline
- Present slide shows of selected stills or clips
- Export clips to a different codec or as a web page.
Call for a Quote
CatDV Pro - Desktop Client
CatDV 10.0 Professional Edition adds many features of particular interest to production houses and professional users over and above CatDV's core features.
We believe that different users have different needs, so we provide a variety of CatDV clients with different user experiences. These include rich desktop clients, accessible web and mobile front-ends, iOS apps, and apps that operate inside partner products (e.g. Adobe Premiere).
CatDV is designed for stand-alone and networked operation. It is highly scalable , and can grow with your needs, to suit everyone from individuals through to studios and large production houses.
Pro Edition Features:
- Excellent integration with Final Cut Pro and other professional editing systems.
- Built in sequence editing, to create rough cut edits from the convenience of your asset management tool.
- Unlimited user-defined metadata attributes to annotate clips.
- Enhanced search dialog, with multiple conditions and logical expressions, named filters, and regular expressions.
- Additional interchange file formats, such as Final Cut Pro XML, Avid ALE, Premiere Pro batch lists, and more.
- Support for image sequences.
- Support for reading metadata from additional file formats, including PDF and XML.
- Verbatim Logger command.
- Log using timecode event markers within a clip or by creating subclips.
- Fully customisable preview settings.
- Customisable clip details panel layout.
- Timezone and camera clock adjustments to permit accurate date-based correlation of shots taken with different cameras.
- Support for standard JKL shuttle controls when playing media.
- Use CatDV Pro as a client to gain access to the networked capabilities provided by the CatDV Server.
- Catalog arbitrary files, not just media files.
- With the optional CatDV MXF Option, read metadata from MXF and XDCAM files, and import Avid or P2 clips and automatically sync up video and audio as an MXF metaclip.
Call for a Quote
CatDV Workgroup Server
CatDV Workgroup Server uses a powerful client-server architecture and a central shared database, allowing media catalogs to be searched and updated by multiple users concurrently.
Our entry level server product, the CatDV Workgroup Server is ideal for teams with up to 5 users. CatDV Workgroup Server is available for most common server platforms including Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
- The CatDV Workgroup Server is a separate server program that 'clients' (the CatDV Professional Edition application) connect to via a local area network
- Clip metadata and thumbnails are stored in a central SQL database
- No need to change your file organisation and workflow media files are stored on your network or digitized from tape when required as you would previously, but CatDV helps you locate them quickly and effortlessly.
Call for a Quote
CatDV Enterprise Server
If you work in a large department or production facility, CatDV Enterprise Server gives you all the benefits of CatDV Professional Edition and the Workgroup Server but with the option of applying controls so that users only see and work with files relevant to their current project, along with other tools to simplify sharing data within the team.
The CatDV Enterprise Server is available for either MySQL or Oracle databases, and is available for most common server platforms including Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
Read some customer stories describing how the CatDV Enterprise Server is acting as the "gateway to the SAN", a simple yet powerful user interface to the entire library of online clips.
- Authentication and logging
- Configurable access control, with a flexible users, groups and permissions model
- Server-based handling of preference settings to ensure that everyone working on a production has the same settings such as pick list values or preview settings
- Shared group documents, such as a To Do list or production 'blog'
- Shared clip lists and smart folders
- Tape library management (in conjunction with optional barcode reader)
- Extra tools to simplify browsing clips on the server.
Call for a Quote
CatDV Pegasus - Premium Client
Pegasus is the premium CatDV client, building on the foundation of CatDV Enterprise. Pegasus can co-exist with CatDV Enterprise clients and is available as a stand-alone product. The product is downloadable today.
Pegasus has a number of capabilities over and above the other CatDV desktop clients:
Pegasus custom actions combine the capabilities offered by CatDV Pro and the CatDV Worker Node.
Custom actions can be used at all stages of your workflow, for example to transcode clips to a particular pre-set movie format, to quickly log clips by setting metadata fields from a stored template, to upload files to a site such as Vimeo or YouTube, or to integrate with other third party tools or programs.
To perform a custom action on a clip (or list of clips) you can either drag the selected clips onto the relevant shortcut in the tree or use the command from the Tools menu.
- Transcode the clips to a particular format that you have configured, for example an H.264 web proxy with a burnt in watermark
- Upload the transcoded file to an external web site or service such as YouTube
- Automatically display a prompt asking the user for fields such as a description of the asset or an ftp password
- Set clip fields, for example updating the status to say a file has been archived, or to store the YouTube asset id on completion of an upload
- Save or publish changes to the current catalogue
- Export the selected clip(s) as a still image, as XML, or using any of CatDV's other export formats
- Move, rename, copy or delete files
- Display a message and prompt for confirmation before continuing
You can perform conditional actions, such as only perform a transcode if the proxy file doesn't exist, or check whether a file can be opened by QuickTime or FFmpeg before deciding which exporter to use.
Call for a Quote
CatDV Web Client
The CatDV Pro desktop client application provides an intuitive user interface that gives access to the full set of CatDV features, including media analysis and metadata extraction, transcoding media files, advanced logging tools, sequence editing, and integration with video editing applications.
For many users, a simpler, web-based interface may be more appropriate however. The new CatDV Web Client extends access to the CatDV database to anybody with a web browser. There is no need to install special software on the desktop, making it easy to deploy to a large number of users.
- Use Enterprise Server users, groups and permissions to log on and determine which assets the user can access
- Optionally allow anonymous access to users who haven't logged on
- Display a list of catalogs on the server, organised into logical folders
- Display a list of smart folders that give instant access to clips matching a particular query
- Perform complex queries based on clip name, logging fields, status, date and format
- Easily perform web-style queries across the whole database by typing keywords into the quick search field
- Define new smart folders and save them to the server
- Display clips that match a query or are in a catalog and switch between thumbnail and list views
- Display full details for the selected clip, including thumbnail, preview movie, logging and technical metadata fields arranged in tabs
- If user has permission, edit any logging field, change the clip status, mark in and out points in the video and create new event markers
- Display and edit a list of markers for a clip and jump to that portion of video. Both event and range markers are supported and markers can be assigned to a category and given a description.
- Resizable movie player with a drop down to quickly select preset zoom levels
- Warn if user tries to move off page with unsaved changes
- Currently supports Safari and FireFox on both Mac and Windows, with IE8 and Chrome support planned for a future update
- Built-in "review and approval" functionality
Call for a Quote